Whether you are looking to deepen your understanding of the psychology of your own child or you have ambitions to work in the fascinating field of child psychology, this great-value online course is designed to give you a comprehensive introduction to the subject. You’ll gain a real insight into how psychologists work with children to improve their psychological states.
What Will I Learn?
The 22 easy-to-access modules cover all aspects of the rapid development of the mind and body that occur from birth through to early adulthood. The complex physical, emotional, cognitive and behavioural development stages children progress through are all covered with a focus on popular theories of child development.
Is the Course for Me?
No qualifications are needed to embark on the course but a genuine interest in the psychological development of children is a must. The course takes around 20 hours to complete and because all learning takes place online, it’s perfect for those who wish to fit it around their existing commitments.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
- Get an overview of the course content before being introduced to the subject of child psychology, including theories of prominent child psychologists and the importance of recognising abnormal behaviour.
- Learn about the different theories used in child development research, how these theories were developed, the similarities and differences between important theories and which theories govern modern practice in child development.
- Gain an insight into cognitive development including Piaget’s theory, understanding the information-processing theory and learning about cognitive development at different life stages.
- Explore cognitive development in the first year, covering more about Piaget’s sensorimotor stage, object permanence and adaption and equilibrium.
- Find out about the cognitive development and application of Piaget’s theory to toddlers and pre-schoolers.
- Move on to cognitive development in the middle years and gain an understanding of Piaget’s concrete operational stage, how children’s thinking changes at this stage and intelligence and testing intelligence.
- Learn about cognitive development in the teenage years, how it changes from early to late adolescence and how adults can support it.
- Explore the area of genetics including how genetics and the environment affect development and the impact of genetic abnormalities on development.
- Gain understanding of the science behind and the flaws in both the nature and nurture arguments in terms of child development.
- Find out about physical development from birth to the age of 19.
- Learn about the influences on a child’s social development, when children become self-aware and how social value and social development are related.
- Explore emotional development from school age to adolescence and how children learn to regulate their emotions.
- Find out about concepts of intellectual development including how it can be enhanced.
- Gain insight into attachment and relationship building with a focus on a child’s early relationships and the connection between love, support and security.
- Learn about the impact of separation and loss in the different stages of a child’s development and how the effects can be minimised.
- Explore language and communication milestones from birth to five.
- Find out about the importance of self-esteem and confidence and how to nurture it in young children.
- Gain confidence spotting the signs of behavioural problems, understanding its causes and diagnosis and the potential long-term effects.
- Learn the difference between sex and gender, how gender identity develops and is expressed and the concept of non-conformity to gender.
- Explore the history and different perspectives of educational psychology including schooling, learning difficulties and high intelligence.
- Find out how health and nutrition support a child’s development.
- Understand physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioural development into adulthood.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- Study on any device, 24/7 at a pace that suits you.
- Technical support is available, should you require it.
- The 22 modules, which take between 15-60 minutes to complete are easy to access and engage with.
- Enjoy 12 months access to the course content.
- Studying the fascinating subject of child psychology will help you support the children in your life and could also lead to exciting new career opportunities.
Start your child psychology journey today by signing up to the Child Psychology Diploma.
You will receive access to your course within 48 hours of enrollment/ purchase.
|Introduction to Child Psychology|
|Child Development Research and Theories|
|An Overview of Cognitive Development|
|Cognitive Development in the First Year|
|Cognitive Development in the Toddler and Preschool Years|
|Cognitive Development in the Middle Years|
|Cognitive Development and the Teenage Years|
|The Nature/Nurture Debate|
|Attachment and Relationship Building|
|The Role of Separation in Child Development|
|Language and Communication|
|Self-Esteem and Confidence|
|Gender Roles and Differences|
|Education: Schooling, Learning Difficulties and High Intelligence|
|Health and Nutrition in a Child’s Development|
|Developing Into Adulthood|