Learn how to write interesting, engaging and magical stories that children will love. Whether you haven’t written a story since school days or you’re an experienced writer looking for information and guidance, this course will develop your writing skills and encourage you to produce wonderful children’s stories. The course contains simple to understand explanations of the writing techniques used by famous and successful children’s authors.
Specially written sample texts will illustrate the points discussed and writing templates and prompts will guide students to develop their skills. The course has been written by Alison Mott, a writer with over 20 years experience of teaching creative writing, and is packed with insights and advice specifically for those who want to write for children.
The course is endorsed by the World Literacy Foundation, a not-for-profit charitable body committed to reducing illiteracy. Higher literacy levels enable people to overcome barriers of poverty and disease and reach their full potential.
We use only the world’s finest instructors who have a minimum of 15 years real world experience and are experts in their fields. Unlike a live class you can fast-forward, repeat or rewind your lectures, enabling you to fully understand each topic before moving on. This creates a personal learning experience and gives you all the benefits of hands on training with the flexibility of fitting it in around your busy schedule.
Key Learning Points
Writing for children and young adults is a highly specialised field and to be successful in this field certain skills are necessary. Focus areas of this course include:
- Introduction to writing for children – This section offers ideas and techniques on how to create a writing environment and establish routines, how to prepare and plan for writing, tips for avoiding procrastination and how to believe in yourself as a writer. It also looks at the importance of understanding modern children and what they like to read, and provides information on the reading interests and abilities of different age groups.
- Characters, plotting and structure – Learn how to create interesting, well-rounded and believable characters and examine the theories related to story structure and creating great plots.
- Dialogue and a satisfying ending – Explore the use of dialogue, raising and answering reader questions, story themes and how to end a story.
- Editing, publishing and reading as a writer – This section examines the importance of editing your work and how to submit the finished product to publishers and agents. It also covers the importance of reading the work of other writers and how this will develop your own writing.
Advantage of this course
By the end of the course you will have a thorough grounding in the techniques and skills necessary to write a fantastic children’s book, as well as confidence in yourself as a writer. The course will explain the terminology used in the writing and publishing industry and demystify the topic of writing for young people. Other course benefits include:
- Understand what young readers expect from the books they read
- Build effective characters, plot and settings
- Strengthen belief, and build confidence in yourself as a writer
- Get grips on the steps you need to get your work published
- Acquire quotes and tips from children book writes and industry experts
- Learn the concept, format and content requirements of texts for children of different ages.
Whether you haven’t written a story since you were a child yourself, or you’re an experienced writer looking for advice and guidance, this course is for you. Get started now and write charmed stories for kids.
You will receive access to your course within 48 hours of enrollment/ purchase.
|Developing you the writer|
|Writing for children|
|Creating convincing characters|
|Plotting and structure|
|Writing effective openings|
|The bit in the middle|
|Editing and publishing your writing|
|Reading as a writer|